One of the best parts of the upcoming holidays is gathering together with family and friends and reflecting on what we are thankful for. Not only does this reflection bring us closer to each other, but it can also provide a great inspiration. Considering the gifts you are most thankful for, find a cause that allows others to experience the same joy.
- Love cuddling up with your furry friends? Spend some quality time with pets in need at your local animal shelter.
- Enjoy cooking a big holiday meal with your family? Help others have the same opportunity by contacting your local food bank and planning a drive or helping out at a soup kitchen.
- Savor the look on your kids’ faces when they open gifts? Be an “elf” for a child in need and answer their letter to Santa or payoff a Walmart layaway.
- Appreciate the feel of a toasty coat on a freezing morning? Donate your family’s unworn or outgrown coats to a local Goodwill or to Burlington Coat Factory’s Drive (you’ll get a discount, too!)
- Cherish your family and friends? Bake cookies and drop in on neighbors or community members who are alone this holiday season.
- Looking for more opportunities? Check United Way’s register.
Making a difference can happen on your schedule and it can be fun. Round up relatives and friends and make it a group occasion and a holiday tradition for years to come!